Upper Secondary School

All youth in Sweden who have completed compulsory school and are under the age of 20-years old have the right to a three-year upper secondary education.

There are several Upper Secondary Schools, both public and independent, available i Skövde.  

You may choose between vocational programs if you plan to start working upon completing Upper Secondary School or higher education preparatory programs if you plan to apply for college after completing Upper Secondary School. 

Municipal Upper Secondary Schools

There are 2 public Upper Secondary Schools in Skövde: Västerhöjd and Kavelbro.
Link to Västerhöjd
Link to Kavelbro

Independent Upper Secondary Schools

In addition to the municipal Upper Secondary Schools there are seven indenpendent schools.
Link to indepentent schools.

International Baccalaureate - IB, is an internationally recognized education with all teaching in English.
Link to IB

Mother Tongue Tuition

Pupils in Upper Secondary School should be offered Mother Tongue Tuition when the following criteria are met: 

  • One or both, of the child’s caregivers have another mother tongue than Swedish.
  • The language is used for daily communication and interaction in the pupil’s home.
  • The pupil has good knowledge of the language


If five or more pupils are requesting Mother Tongue Tuition in the same language the Municipality is obliged to offer tuition granted a qualified teacher is available. For Mother Tongue Tuition in minority languages such as Finish, Yiddish, Meänkieli, Romani chib or Sami there is no minimum requirement to start tuition.

The Municipality is also obliged to offer Mother Tongue Tuition to pupils who are adopted and have a different mother tongue than Swedish, even if the language is not used for daily communication and interaction in the child’s home. The pupil must have basic knowledge of the language.

Please follow the link below to apply for Mother Tongue Tuition

E-service for Mother Tongue Tuition


Please contact the Municipality Contact Center if you need additional information or are interested to apply for Upper Secondary Schools.